Unable to execute from USB Drive (FC2)

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 1 16:03:00 UTC 2005

Matthew Miller wrote:

>On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 10:20:34AM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>>I'll try again with a shorter message.
>>I'm having problems executing programs from a mounted USB drive.
>>I mount /dev/sda1 to /dev/usb and create some directories
>>over there. All paths have execute access all the way down
>>When I try to execute a program built on the USB drive, I get
>>"bash: /mnt/usb/jmccarty/hello: Permission denied".
>>Is this because it is a "removable medium"? I just checked, and
>>I get the same error from a floppy.
>>

>Yes, very likely. The "user" flag to mount (look in /etc/fstab) implies the
>option "noexec". Add the option "exec" and it should work as you expected.

That was it. Thanks all for the replies. I did a "su" and edited
/etc/fstab to put ",exec" on the USB and floppy drives, and they
work perfectly now.

BTW:

$ mount
/dev/hda5 on / type ext3 (rw)
[snip]
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/usb type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=jmccarty)
/dev/fd0 on /mnt/floppy type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=jmccarty)
$ ls -l /mnt/usb/jmccarty/hello /mnt/floppy/hello
-rwxr-xr-x  1 jmccarty jmccarty 4731 Jun 23 15:03 /mnt/floppy/hello
-rwxr-xr-x  1 jmccarty jmccarty 4731 Jun 23 15:03 /mnt/usb/jmccarty/hello
$ /mnt/usb/jmccarty/hello
Hello
$ /mnt/floppy/hello
Hello

So the problem appears not to be that it is VFAT, as the floppy is that.

BTW, I have problems with unmounting devices from time to time.
It seems that FC2 sometimes loses track of how many "users" are
actually "on" a given drive, and refuses to unmount. It takes a reboot
to clear this up. I'm new to Fedora Core, and don't know how to
search for this type of problem. So, is this a known problem?
Any tips on searching for known problems, so I don't bother people
here?

Mike