gam_server and nfs in FC4; how do I stop gam_server from polling /net/..

Brian G. Anderson bikehead at amberpoint.com
Fri Jul 1 18:42:55 UTC 2005

FC4 has autofs setup so one can use the /net automount point to access
nfs shares.  However, when every I access a remote directory using
nautilus through this it will never be released by autofs.  In fact
,shutdown of autofs and even the machine is obstructed by these mount
points being in use.

Some investigation shows that /usr/lib/gam_server is holding open files
to .trash files on the remote directory.  I tried emptying my trash and
I tried killing gam_server (it gets auto restarted).  How do I stop this
behavior?  Is this a bug in FC4 setup for autofs?

--
.   __o    Brian "la lumaca"
  _`\<,_