Change Disk from IDE to SCSI using dd, what else ?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Jul 2 00:44:16 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

>>>And in Fedora kernels the scsi drivers are in the module, and are not
>>>included in the initrd image by default.
>>
>> So are you saying that a machine with only SCSI discs
>> cannot boot a Fedora kernel
>> (ie a kernel that comes with the Fedora distribution)?
>
> That's not what he said. The SCSI modules are not included in the initrd
> image *by default*. If you install Fedora on a SCSI machine, anaconda
> should detect this and include the necessary drivers in the initrd. It
> will also add a scsi_hostadapter line to /etc/modprobe.conf, which will
> cause any subsequent mkinitrd runs to include the needed modules too.

I wasn't aware of this, I must admit -
I didn't realise that anaconda ran mkinitrd.

In my case, at least, it must do this badly,
as the distribution kernel has never run on my SCSI machine.

What happens if you upgrade rather than install -
does anaconda still run mkinitrd?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366