Mounted USB drive shows up as "usb(2)"

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 2 01:15:03 UTC 2005

I have a USB drive which, when I mount it, shows up on the
desktop as "usb (2)". I have two entries in /etc/fstab
for this, because sometime it refuses to mount as /dev/sda1
and sometimes I have to use /dev/sde1. Anyway, here is the
relevant part of /etc/fstab

/dev/sda1               /mnt/usb                auto    noauto,user,exec 0 0
/dev/sde1               /mnt/usb                auto    noauto,user 0 0

So I wonder, why is it mounting as "usb (2)". Is that the
USB port number, or what?

And why do I sometimes need /dev/sde1 rather than /dev/sda1?

Mike