Our Leafnode How-To

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Sat Jul 2 01:16:59 UTC 2005

OK, I'm a usenet junkie. Leafnode (a tiny local news server) sits
between the LAN and the ISP's news server. It does lots of nifty things
in the background and provides an exquisitely simple, yet highly
effective, RegEx filter/killfile.

Maybe it's just me but Linux news clients don't seem to handle posts to
moderated groups very gracefully. When posting to NANAB, for example,
knode sort of hangs until it times out, showing the post as failed and
leaving it in the outbox. With leafnode, that problem is gone (or at
least not visible).

Leafnode is suitable as a stand-alone, to take advantage of the
filtering.

Anyway (FWIW): http://www.tqmcube.com/leafnode.htm
There are links to the RPM I compiled (the Fedora Extras RPM is
outdated) and a simplified configuration file (the distributed config
seems spectacularly disorganized).

Comments, suggestions, edits, raves and rants are certainly welcome OFF
LIST so that I'll actually read them. List traffic has been rather heavy
lately.
--
      * Eliminate Spam:         http://www.TQMcube.com/spam_trap.htm
      * RBLDNSD HowTo:          http://www.TQMcube.com/rbldnsd.htm