sftp -b <batch> refuses to connect

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Jul 2 05:51:19 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 18:21 -0400, Nancy Merckle wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> >> "sftp -b <batch> user at somesite" refuses to connect:
> >>
> >> # sftp -b upload.ftp user at somesite
> >> Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
> >> Couldn't read packet: Connection reset by peer
> >>
> >> While "sftp user at somesite", i.e. interactively using sftp, works:
> >> # sftp user at somesite
> >> Connecting to somesite ...
> >> Password: ...
> >>
> >> ssh and scp access to the same site also works.
>
> It looks to me like your keys are out of sync.  You may need to
> update/regenerate them.
Which keys (key-files) are you referring to?

All this happened after an update from FC3 to FC4, with me not having
changed the (previously functional) configuration, so if your assumption
holds, I'd assume to something having gone lost/changed during the
upgrade.

> If you can sftp into the system, interactively,

Yes, I can. Actually that's my problem: Interactive sftp, scp and ssh
work, batch sftp doesn't.

>  the only thing left is the part that makes it automatic.
:-)

> Oh, another mistake I frequently make is trying to run a batch file when
> the file isn't in the directory I'm in... but that is probably not the
> case here.
Right.

> Hope this helps,
We'll see :-)