In praise of vnc on the installation line

Javier Perez pepebuho at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 07:01:11 UTC 2005

Hi

I think the installation team should place also vnc as part of the
information material regarding options to set on the command line
before intallation.

I have an nvidia system that was going to give me problem with X
during the installation. Text installation is not nice yet because
there are some things that you can set up for installation in graphic
mode but not intext mode (LVM, individual packages,etc.).

But reading TFAs I came across the other options applicable and vnc.

It sure was fun to start an installation, tell the system to do an NFS
installation and then go to my VNC client to continue the installation
as if I wer on the graphic console. Neat!

Now I just have to install the nvidia drivers and off I go!

(BTW, the system is attached to a TV, that's why I did not have a monitor )

Javier
--
 /\_/\
 |O O|  pepebuho at pananet.com