How to build a local yum update server??

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sat Jul 2 10:25:31 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 10:20 +0200, Hans Müller wrote:
> How can i tell the clients to check my local server first. And when updates avalible on my local
> server and the fedora server to download it from my server to save bandwidth.

You can't actually do exactly this.

What you *can* do is to edit the /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo
file and comment out any existing baseurl= and mirrorlist= lines and
then add a line:

baseurl=http://your.server/path/to/repo/updates/$releasever/$basearch

This will make yum on that machine access *only* your server.

If your server is not always available, you can do:

baseurl=http://your.server/path/to/repo/updates/$releasever/$basearch
	http://other.mirror/path/to/repo/updates/$releasever/$basearch
	http://another.mirror/path/to/repo/updates/$releasever/$basearch
failovermethod=priority

This will cause yum to try each of the listed servers in turn, but it
will stop at the first one that responds with valid data.

So the best thing to do is to resync your mirror regularly so that it's
always as up to date as possible.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>