yum - lack of features

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jul 2 15:37:16 UTC 2005

Christofer C. Bell wrote:

>On 6/29/05, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>I found out today when trying to trim down an "everything install". I
>>tried using the add/remove feature and it mostly failed.
>>

>On a note for the future, you may consider shying away from the
>"Everything" installation and going with either a barebones install or
>one of Workstation or Server and then using yum to install the
>software you actually need.
>
>Personally, I use the Server installation and then install what I
>need.  YMMV, of course.

I used to do a custom install or a server install. With these
installations you now get such a limited set of a packages, that an
everything installation is more appealing. For instance, I like mozilla,
the mailer for mozilla, mc and a slew of other packages. I want to test
out other stuff that is included in the install, but not installed with
any particular model or available in the custom install.
The scaled down model was due to deciding post install that I intended
to use this installation for a dedicated purpose. The programs that I
needed were then known to be not important, triming down was then needed.
The particular installation is limited from direct network connectivity,
so trimming down was the most practical solution than bare bones to
desired install.
Yum does come in handy for reducing the package count. Sometimes too
reduced.

jim

--
If you think the problem is bad now, just wait until we've solved it.
		-- Arthur Kasspe