Another WiFi question...

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 16:26:03 UTC 2005

On 7/2/05, radioact1ve <radioact1ve at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone!
>
> Hows it going? Well like others, I have a wifi laptop and I put FC4.
> Want to move about the place with it, I installed ndiswrapper (from
> source) and drivers. It's all installed, sees my card (a built in
> broadcom (4306 I think)) When I reboot, dmesg sees the module and its
> loaded fine. I set the mode, key and channel. But for some reason it
> just won't work.

What is the output of "iwconfig"?  (You can mask out the WEP key)  My
first guess is maybe you need to set the encryption mode to "open"
instead of "restricted"
# iwconfig wlan0 key open
Can you configure it and get it to work after boot?

> It has to be a setting mistake on my part. From here I don't know
> where to go b/c I don't get any errors. I don't know where to look for
> them. Any clues? Thanks!

We'll need some more information to start guessing about that.  Try
the above change and if that doesn't work, try turning WEP off and see
if you can get it working without it.

> Just in case, It's a presario r3000 laptop (AMD64 but running x86 FC4)
> and like I said its a built in broadcom chip.

Any reason you are running the 32-bit version?  Make sure you have the
32-bit Windows drivers (yes, there are 64-bit drivers and they work
with 64-bit Linux and ndiswrapper :)).