FC4 sendmail user mail file missing

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Jul 2 18:01:47 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 02.07.2005 schrieb David Niemi um 19:56:

> I installed FC4 as a new install using the i386.  When finishing the
> install I added a regular user as requested.  I then proceeded to finish
> the set up and add the user I created into the aliases file to receive
> roots' e-mails.

I assume you did run "newaliases" afterwards.

> There is no file in /var/spool/mail for the user that I added, just
> root.  Using webmin from the user account I sent an e-mail to the user
> as root and tried searching for some way to create the mail file.  I
> also tried searching on the sendmail site for a clue as to how to fix
> this with no luck.

Sendmail itself does not store locally. Thats the job of the LDA/MDA,
which is by default Procmail.

> Can I just create a file in /var/spool/mail for the user using touch?

That is not necessary.

> Any other way I can solve this?

Check your /var/log/maillog file. Always the starting point. Too run as
root "mail" in terminal or console to read it's mail - possibly you find
there the postmaster mail explaining some problems with mail delivery
for the mortal user.

>   Dave

Alexander

Serendipity 19:59:02 up 7 days, 2:51, load average: 0.92, 0.79, 0.57