FC4 sendmail user mail file missing

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Jul 3 00:43:51 UTC 2005

Am So, den 03.07.2005 schrieb David Niemi um 1:21:

> Thanks a bunch Alexander, I had forgotten to run newaliases.

Ok, typical pitfall :)
So for the ongoing I assume an existing and active alias

root:  dave

> maillog says user unknown. I had changed the host name and domain, put
> it in the hosts and network files.  These changes were also put in the
> local-host-names file (instead of the access file). Messages to "root"
> and "dave" were using this addressing "@me.mynetwork"  This all worked
> fine out of the box so to speak with FC3.

dave is a system user?
The /etc/hosts file is important as Sendmail takes it hostname from it.
You can override this in the sendmail.mc. The local-host-names file sets
additional class {w} entries, for which Sendmail feels responsible. As
it is a plain text file it is required that you "service sendmail
restart" after changes to it.

> The relay=me [127.0.0.1] is shown in maillog as handling the mail to
> root and dave.  The returned message shows the reason= 550 5.1.1 unknown
> user.

Can you please post your /etc/hosts file content, the exact maillog
entries and the result from command

$ echo '$=w' | /usr/lib/sendmail -bt

> What next?  Meanwhile I'll continue trying to read up on procmail and
> sendmail, but I don't know what to look for so it's difficult.

The basic setup would simply work. What else did you change in your
Sendmail setup?

> Dave

Alexander

Serendipity 02:35:48 up 7 days, 9:27, load average: 0.48, 0.47, 0.37