Login failure on FC4

Oliver Leitner shadow333 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 03:01:28 UTC 2005

don fisher wrote:
> I have installed FC4 on my Dell P4 laptop. All went smoothly until I
> tried to load a kernel I compiled myself. I have a 2.6.11 kernel that
> functioned correctly under FC3 after I applied the udev patch to allow
> my console to exist.
>
> I also have a 2.6.12.2 kernel. Both have initrd files. When I attempt to
> log in from the console I am allowed to enter my user name and password.
> As soon as I enter return for the password I am returned to the login
> prompt. This also occurs when root attempts to log in. If I boot the
> kernel that came with the FC4 distribution the login is successful.
>
> The entries from 2.6.12.2 that contain my name from /var/log/messages are:
>
> 1. su(pam_unix)[6674]: session opened for user dfisher by dfisher(uid=0)

Dear Don

your login is working correct, if it works correct, and you su to a
user, he writes that out.

> 2. kernel: [ 1094.829499] mtrr: type mismatch for c0000000,8000000 old:
> uncachable new: write-combining

the mtrr function of the kernel isnt working right, looks like a read
error to that address he is showing, should be no biggy, as long as
youve got no smp machine.

> 3. su(pam_unix)[8072]: session opened for user root by dfisher(uid=239)

once again... see above...

> Under RedHats FC4 kernel:
> 1. gconfd (dfisher-6896): starting (version 2.8.1), pid 6896 user 'dfisher'
> 2. gconfd (dfisher-6896): Resolved address
> "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only
> configuration source at position 0
> 3. gconfd (dfisher-6896): Resolved address
> "xml:readwrite:/home/dfisher/.gconf" to a writable configuration source
> at position 1
> 4. gconfd (dfisher-6896): Resolved address
> "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only
> configuration source at position 2

gconf is, as the name says, the gnome configuration setup, that simply
means that your user has no rights to write to the gnome configuration,
which lays in /etc/gconf(.d) directory.

which is no biggy either, as you prolly have customized gnome config
entries in your home dir.

> I do not understand why gconfd is operating under the FC4 kernel and not
> my own. But I obviously do not know the details.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Life was so simple in the insecure days
> before pam, ssh,... made system management a security task.
>
> don

so far i see no errors there, thats the usual messages that ppls get
when running fc3...

Greetings
Oliver Leitner
Technical Staff