Group ware solution needed

James Marcinek jmarc1 at jemconsult.biz
Sun Jul 3 13:50:04 UTC 2005

Here's what I use and it's really good:

OpenGroupware  http://www.opengroupware.org/

  other useful resource for OGo http://www.exchangekiller.com
                                http://www.skyrix.de/en/

To use outlook you would need to pay for this piece go to the skyrix site for
more info...

I actually use Postfix which was not difficult to implement (I moved from
Sendmail to Postfix and there was actually a script that converted my existing
emails...) and use cyrus-imapd. I also have Spamassassin implemented too...

In fact I'm using it right now. Some features:

Contacts
Projects and tasks
Companies
Resources (eg meeting rooms can be made I haven't used this yet)
Scheduling (calendars)
Document uploading/downloading
sync with palm pilot
epoz editor (for editing emails)

You can create groups and assign people to groups, provide authorizations to
groups or users on projects, etc

You can create projects, and put tasks in projects (or not), assign people to
tasks, etc

Although I haven't used this piece, it's supposed to interface with Ximian's
Evolution and I the last I checked they were working on connecting to outlook. I
use mine via the web browser (I implented SSL certs)which gives me secure remote
access anywhere(don't have to open up your POP3 or IMAPD ports). The backend is
PostgreSQL.

You might want to use Whitebox linux or centos which is an open sourced
distribution of Red Hat, but it should not matter.

The documents are uploaded/downloaded via the web browser so you don't have to
worry about SMB shares. Documents are associated with projects...

I transitioned from SquirrelMail using Sendmail to OpenGroupware and haven't
looked back. I've also looked at other Open Source tools in the past but this
seems the best.