Group ware solution needed

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Jul 3 14:25:40 UTC 2005

Am So, den 03.07.2005 schrieb Chris Ruprecht um 5:39:

> I have received a request from a friend of mine to provide him (and his
> 10 people company) with a Linux based server that also gives them a
> group ware solution.
>
> I was initially thinking of Lotus Notes, but it refuses to run under
> Fedora and doesn't play nicely under RH 9 either (I have been testing 4
> different Linux-en all day long).
>
> I googled around and didn't come across anything that looks remotely
> promising.
>
> Here are the requirements:
> (1) Server based email
> (2) Server based calendaring for all their people so that they can
> schedule meetings and know when all the other staff members are
> available
> (3) Server based document storage

All 3 criteria fulfilled by Open-Xchange:

http://mirror.open-xchange.org/ox/EN/community/

Try the online demo and judge yourself:

http://mirror.open-xchange.org/ox/EN/community/online.htm

> Their workstations are Windows XP, they have a number of business
> applications for which there are no equivalent Linux versions.
>
> The solutions I have in mind are:
>
> for (1): sendmail/cyrus-imap/procmail;
> the problem here is that there is no easy way to add rules for procmail
> in a way an end-user understands mail filters. They can just about grasp
> the concept of mail filtering when they use POP3 (POP3 is not an option
> here, though because they want to be able to access their server mail
> from anywhere)

Using Sendmail and Cyrus-IMAPd there is no need for Procmail.
Cyrus-IMAPd comes with Sieve, which is much simpler to setup filtering
rules with, than using Procmail. And, which is certainly important for
you, web frontend exist, like websieve or smartsieve.

http://smartsieve.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

> for (2): I have not found any solid open-source calendar tool for this.

OK has the calendar and sharing facilities.

> for (3): I can make shared directories available through SMB but that
> just moves the Word/Excel/PDF/whatever-else-format-file chaos from the
> workstation to the server. Trying to find a specific document amongst
> the 1000s of arbitrarily names files is near impossible.

OK uses WebDAV, which is IMHO the best solution.

> Any open-source solutions that run under Linux (FC3/FC4 preferred) are
> welcome.

Open-Xchange

> Chris

Alexander

Serendipity 16:19:21 up 7 days, 23:11, load average: 0.15, 0.22, 0.19