I'm about to give up. Please Help

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Sun Jul 3 17:36:53 UTC 2005

Don wrote:

> I have just this weekend to get this going.  I have been working on it
> for two days. Please help.
>
> I was running FC3 with no problem on this system.
>
> I installed FC4 new.  I select all the packages.  When the install
> displays there is 25 minutes left, the screen turns gray, then I see a
> terminal like output stating something like starting graphical
> interface, the system reboot, and I get a grub> prompt.

    Have you tried any of the options such as text install?  It looks as
if your system is rebooting without having written grub to the mbr.  I
wonder has X started before the reboot?  How much stuff was installed?
is it possible you are filling up the partition(s) which causes the reboot?

    Did you try a rescue boot? Can the rescue find the aborted install.
Can you use grub to find the install log in /root?

    HTH

    Scott