Installed FC4 all I get is grub>... Help

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 3 17:58:49 UTC 2005

Don wrote:

> Mike,  Thanks, sorry I missed this message.
>
> Trying what you suggested, I do not have a complete installation.
>
> You suggest "If it turns out that you have an incomplete GRUB install,
> then
> you might try booting a rescue CD with GRUB on it, and using
> the GRUB emulation mode to install GRUB on your hard drive."
>
> I do have an rescue CD, I am now booted, how do I go into emulation
> mode and restore GRUB.
>
> Even if this works, my new concern will be what else is not installed.
>
> I have installed FC4 3 times, all the packages, tested the media.
> Maybe its one of the packages?
> Don

[snip stuff I wrote earlier]

To run emulation mode, you just run grub from wherever it is on your
rescue CD. IOW, there
is (likely) an ordinary executable on your rescue CD named grub. In an
ordinary install,
it is in /sbin/grub.

Hmm. I just mounted my copy of FC4-i386-rescuecd.iso so I could have a
look, and I don't see
a version of GRUB on there. I found it on FC4-i386-disc1.iso as
/Fedora/RPMS/grub-0.95-13.i386.rpm
which won't do you much good. I suppose that you are using
FC4-i386-rescuecd?

If you have access to "mount" command, then one possibility is to go to
another machine and
copy /sbin/grub onto the floppy, and then mount it on the ailing
machine. You can then
run GRUB in emulation mode from the floppy.

But, as are you, I'm afraid that you have a woefully incomplete install.
A better approach
might be to try a text-mode install. This might get you a bootable
machine, to which
you could add the graphical stuff later.

Mike