Fedora Core 4 -- 1387 Kernel Problem Compaq nx9010 Laptop

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jul 3 22:03:39 UTC 2005

Markus Huber wrote:

> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> ryan wrote:

>>> Could this be similar to my problem where FC 3 kernels boot, but FC
>>> 4 ones do not?
>>>
>> The problem might be related to the differences between the way
>> devices are managed between FC3 and
>> FC4. Look into UDEV and other possibilities. I think the kernel is
>> missing some features that the FC4 kernel used to have compiled in.
>

> With kernel-2.6.12-1.1411_FC5 from the development tree I do not
> experience any problem with programs running through wine, and I am
> using this one on my desktop at present.

1411 locks up for me. I even uninstalled it and then reinstalled it
again with the same problem with it locking up. ACPI doesn't work for me
with this kernel version.

>> ACPI is a different issue, HP laptops cannot boot without it for some
>> models. The model mentioned above and my HP ze4315us cannot boot
>> without ACPI being functional.
>

> Updated my HP zd7000 with kernel-2.6.12-1.1387_FC4smp (it's a P4 3.2
> GHz with Hyperthreading) and it boots fine with ACPI.

Even though I have a single processor, maybe acpi was messed up in the
single processor kernel. I'll install the kernel-smp version and see if
it works. I believe the smp kernel always has acpi enabled.

Thanks a lot for the hint.

Jim