FC3 gnome-volume-control broken

Bill R. Williams brwilliams at chartertn.net
Sun Jul 3 23:08:14 UTC 2005

As has been said before:  This list rocks!

My problem is fixed.
Solution -- run:
	gst-register-0.8
as suggested by Tony Nelson and Gérard Milmeister.
Note to Tony:  In my haste I overlooked James Walker's instruction "As
root run" in your response; I ran it as my non-root account and that
worked for me.  It appears that it updated/created my:
~/.gstreamer-0.8/registry-i386.xml

I first tried furlan's (flp) thing: rm .gnome2/gnome-volume-control
That didn't work for me.

And Oliver, since the problem is now fixed do you still want output
from a mixer?

The rest of this note is the text of the responses, and
my original post is the last thing.

--Bill R. Williams        <brwilliams AT chartertn DOT net>

==> 1 <==
On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 05:07:44 +0200 Oliver Leitner wrote:
>Dear Bill
>
>please may you run the mixer from a terminal, and tell us what it puts out?

==> 2 <==
On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 00:50:57 -0400 Tony Nelson wrote:
>This fixed the problem for me:
>
>At 10:22 PM -0400 6/23/05, James Walker wrote:
>>Hi,
>>I had the same problem; my sound was working but the gnome volume controller
>>was not. I found a solution on a forum somewhere. As root run:
>>gst-register-0.8
>>-James

==> 3 <==
On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 06:57:37 -0400 flp wrote:
>When that happened here I found that (from your home directory) if you:
>1. rm .gnome2/gnome-volume-control
>2. click on the volume control and it works again.
>I have no indication WHY this changes things as IIRC the file that is (re)generated appears to be identical to the one erased in bot permissions and content.
>HTH
>ciao,
>furlan
>What I look forward to is continued immaturity followed by death.
>-- Dave Barry

==> 4 <==