yum as root question

Benjamin Sher delphi123 at zebra.net
Mon Jul 4 07:23:01 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

>On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 02:12 -0500, Benjamin Sher wrote:
>

>>Dear friends:
>>
>>My yum is now working fine as root. But I am wondering about the past.
>>I've been running my new installation for several weeks, and I've been
>>installing programs with yum as User instead of as Root.
>>

>I'd be utterly amazed if yum didn't tell you that that hadn't worked
>when you tried it:
>
>$ yum install emacs
>You need to be root to perform this command.
>

>>How has this
>>past installation affected or will affect the current status of yum on
>>my computer? It's working fine, I've installed several more programs
>>(this time as root), but has my past mistake in any way corrupted or
>>messed up the yum database? If so, what would you recommend that I do?
>>

>Tell us *exactly* how you were installing programs using yum as a
>regular user.
>
>Paul.

Dear Paul:

I see your point. Obviously, I was INSTALLING programs only as Root. I
apparently confused "installing" a program as root with my practice of
having yum list programs, both "installed" and "available" as User. I
was running the command "yum list available" and "yum list installed" as
user. That's what temporarily messed up yum. Would doing this have any
permanent effect on the yum database?

Thank you.

Benjamin