network restart (after this: only localhost up)

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jul 4 13:06:53 UTC 2005

rueh hänä wrote:
> ok. The NetworkManager is not running. First I made a service NetworkManager
> stop, then a start.

If the system is not a laptop or other portable device that will be used
on different networks, I'd suggest turning off NetworkManager and
leaving it turned off. This should fix the issues you're seeing.

> And now, i have again to directly go to the server for
> activating the network interfaces. Kinda crazy.
>
> Here the configs...
>
> eth0:
>
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=none
> BROADCAST=192.108.234.255
> HWADDR=00:12:79:3D:A3:E4
> IPADDR=192.108.234.167
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.108.234.0
> ONBOOT=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet
> GATEWAY=192.108.234.50

GATEWAY is best set in /etc/sysconfig/network rather than in ifcfg-eth0
because it's a property of the system as a whole, not just that interface.

Paul.