Kernel Compiling

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Mon Jul 4 15:59:54 UTC 2005

Am Mo, den 04.07.2005 schrieb Robby Tanner um 17:36:

> > To the latest FC3 kernel. Please read the announcement mails
> > to know when security issues get fixed. The current FC3
> > kernel is 2.6.11-1.35_FC3.
>
> Holy cow, am I ever behind!!!

An FC3 update kernel rebased to 2.6.12.x with security fixes is
somewhere at the doors ;)

> > > I'm not sure what you mean by that?
> >
> > Ok, misunderstood your question. You need to apply _all_
> > patches (therefor rpmbuild -bp) and not just the patch which
> > brings the base kernel source tarball to 2.6.9-final-bk2.
>
> What are bk2 files for?  Presumably that's in the release notes as well?

No, the release notes do not explain that. That is something which
belongs to the process how changes, fixes etc. to the official kernel
sources are named. It think "bk" stands for BitKeeper (formerly used
tool use by Linus to handle the sources), while other suffixes note
patch sets by kernel hackers (like -ac<number> for Alan Cox).

> Rob

Alexander

Serendipity 17:55:14 up 9 days, 47 users, load average: 0.19, 0.21, 0.17