FC4 upgrade

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Jul 4 16:07:53 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 11:39:02AM -0400, David Cary Hart wrote:
> > needs the cups-libs which needs libtiff that needs xorg-libs, etc. Any
> > way that libtiff doesn't needs xorg ?? Without recompiling, because the
> Is there some reason that you don't want to install X? It sure makes
> managing a server a whole lot easier.

It's general best practice for a server -- don't install anything you don't
need, *particularly* large, complicated setuid programs. I'm willing to bet
that there's dozens of root compromise vulerabilities in X that we don't
know about yet.

As a compromise, you can not install xorg-x11 itself but just the libraries,
and then still install X apps and run GUI management tools over the network
via SSH. No need for an X server on the server itself, and you can sit in
the comfort of your office rather than hanging out in the server room.