FC4 upgrade

Gland Vador glandvador at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 4 16:29:34 UTC 2005

David Cary Hart wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 12:11 +0200, Gland Vador wrote:

>>1) when I execute :
>>[]# /etc/init.d/microcode_ctl start
>>it responds:
>>      microcode device /dev/cpu/microcode doesn't exist?
>

>>Anybody see the same problem ? For me is a double problem. First udev
>>doesn't load the microcode module and then the microcode_ctl script
>>remove the module. Or I don't have the right CPU ??
>>

> CPU is fine but not worth worrying about.

Well, even if the CPU doesn't need to be "upgraded" with a new microcode
it seems to me that something is wrong either with udev or/and with the
init.d script. Because I can do it by hand.
It worked fine in FC3: actually it told me that microcode was applied,
and not that it worth applying it :)

>>2) This is a head less server. No X. But, I want the samba package who
>>needs the cups-libs which needs libtiff that needs xorg-libs, etc. Any
>>way that libtiff doesn't needs xorg ?? Without recompiling, because the
>>next time the libtiff will be upgraded the X will come along...
>>The same for cvs package. It seems that it needs tcsh packages just for
>>a script in the /usr/share folder. In the FC3 there wasn't this requires
>>for cvs and libtiff.
>>

> Is there some reason that you don't want to install X? It sure makes
> managing a server a whole lot easier.

It's just a really tiny server. I have it from the rhl7.3 era and I'm
used to configure through a text editor. For me, it's just easier and
quicklier. This is more a whininig about some dependencies...

Edd.