Skinnying up a fat install

Philip A. Prindeville philipp at enteka.com
Mon Jul 4 18:19:00 UTC 2005

Jonathan Berry wrote:

>On 7/3/05, Philip A. Prindeville <philipp at enteka.com> wrote:
>

>>I did an initial install of both .x86_64 and .i386 binaries for FC3 to
>>an Athalon 64-based system.  Now that I think about it, it would have
>>been easier just to have done a .x86_64 install, or limited myself to
>>whatever binaries weren't published in .x86_64 format.
>>

>I'm not sure what you mean by this.  I hope you mean that you
>installed the arch compatability libraries (or whatever they called
>it) which installed the 32-bit packages for some libraries.  Did you
>do this install recently?  Any reason you went with FC3 instead of
>FC4?

It was the arch compatibility libraries, but some others also seemed to
have been sucked in.  Not sure why.

I was surprised that there's no .x86_64 Gnome and OpenOffice versions,
for instance.

BTW:  I might write some perl scripts that figure out the dependency
graphs for various packages, so you can see what becomes unused
if a certain program or library gets removed, etc.

I'm a bit of a neophyte to RPM, though.  For instance, I couldn't
figure out how to get the list of installed RPM's with version and
architecture listed (yum list installed "*" will do this, but rpm --query
--all won't).  Likewise, the only way to get the list of dependencies
for a file that I know of is "rpm --erase --test xxx".

-Philip