tar problems

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Mon Jul 4 22:10:17 UTC 2005

Tim Largy wrote:
>>so, any news about FC4 tar bugs (--exclude, --exclude-from, and --newer
>>options not working)? ...
>

> I've never had --exclude-from work on any system--it has nothing to do with FC4.

Excuse me, but I use tar's "-X" (--exclude-from) option every day as
part of my backup scripts, and it works just fine.  You do have to
recognize that the patterns in the exclude file have to match the
entire path of files or directories to be excluded, including the
initial "./" if that's the way tar reached the file, and anything
explicitly requested on the command line (perhaps by the shell's
expansion of a wildcard) overrides any exclusion.

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.