cyrus-imapd

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Jul 5 07:46:55 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 05.07.2005 schrieb Nathan Ollerenshaw um 7:36:
> On Jul 5, 2005, at 12:14 PM, redhatdude at bellsouth.net wrote:
>
> > Alexander,
> > My email server is now functional. I can send and receive email
> > without a problem. The only thing that I've noticed is that in my
> > imap account (in my mail client) I don't see an inbox, sent or
> > trash folder like I'm used to see with other email systems. Is
> > there a way to create these so email that I sent goes to the sent
> > folder and the emails that I trash go to the trash folder?
> > Thanks
> > EJ
>
> That seems to be a function of the MUA actually. I think most MUAs
> will automatically create them and use them, or you might need to
> explicitly tell it to do so.

> Nathan.

Regarding a trash and a sent folder that is correct. The mail client
will create them, depending from it's configuration or standard
behaviour (MUAs differ in this regard). Although making use of the
autocreate patches in the Cyrus-IMAPd of Fedora you can let Cyrus-IMAPd
automatically create specific folders. Please see

http://email.uoa.gr/projects/cyrus/autocreate/

You don't have to apply these patches but to configure their use.

On the other hand, an INBOX must be there in any case. You must create
the mailbox by hand using cyradm. (You could too use the autocreate
mechanism for that, but be very very careful then, to no let each spam
mail to non existing accounts create new INBOXes!)
Be aware that Cyrus-IMAPd does not use /var/spool/mail for mail storage
and thus /var/spool/mail/<user> is the mbox used by other mail
applications. All mail has to go instead to /var/spool/imap/...

Alexander

Serendipity 09:39:30 up 9 days, 16:31, load average: 0.15, 0.25, 0.31