Multitasking with K3b and other applications? -- Rev

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Jul 5 09:10:18 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 05.07.2005 schrieb Benjamin Sher um 10:37:

> When compiling a CD on K3b in Linux, can I run other applications? Or
> are the resources required to burn a CD such that I should run ONLY K3b?
>
> Using a Dell 8200 Dimension 1.8 Gig with 512 megs of real memory.

> Benjamin

I never heard that you "compile" a CD when you burn to a media ;)
Normally it is no problem to do other things while burning CDs on Linux.
Linux has a nice multitasking. If unsure about the capacities of your
specific hardware, then test it without the risk to waste dozen of
media: in a terminal run

cdrecord -v -dummy /path/to/ISO-image-file

You then will see the buffer values during the burn process and other
messages from events. Choose a bigger ISO image like one of the Fedora
CD set to have much time to experiment with applications during the burn
test. The "-dummy" parameter is important, because it causes cdrecord to
not use the laser of the writer. cdrecord --help will tell you further
helpful commands.

Alexander

Serendipity 11:04:28 up 9 days, 17:56, load average: 0.21, 0.25, 0.18