Multitasking with K3b and other applications?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Jul 5 13:01:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 03:36 -0500, Benjamin Sher wrote:
> Dear friends:
>
> When compiling a CD on K3b in Linux, can I run other applications? Or
> are the resources required to burn a CD such that I should run ONLY K3b?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Benjamin

Others have already answered, but the key is mainly your hardware.

I have a system with 1GB memory and an athalon 2400+ processor and have
both cdrw and dvdrw drives.
I recently was web surfing, burning CDs (at max speed of 52X), recording
and editing audio with audacity, all at the same time and never had a
hitch.  I have even used 2 sessions of k3b running at the same time and
burnt CDs on both drives simultaneously without problems.

The lean mean kernel of Linux avoids the bloat and bottleneck slowdowns
common when using winblows for the same hardware.