nfs emacs movemail and selinux

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Tue Jul 5 18:42:19 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 11:36 -0700, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> I'm seeing an interaction in FC4 between a mailbox file on an NFS
> server, emacs's movemail and (I presume) selinux.  (This is with all
> the current rpm updates.)
>
> When I try getting my mail I see this error message from inside emacs:
>
>     movemail: Input/output error for /home/wolfgang/Mailbox
>
>     movemail exited with code 1
>
> Here is what the context looks like on the NFS-ed mailbox along with
> what root's local mailbox looks like:
>
>     $ ll --lcontext /var/mail/root /home/wolfgang/Mailbox
>     2.0K -rw-------  1                                  wolfgang wsrcc 1.4K Jul  5 11:28 /home/wolfgang/Mailbox
>     8.0K -rw-------  1 system_u:object_r:mail_spool_t   root     root   631 Jul  5 11:31 /var/mail/root
>
> I assume the missing context stuff on the Mailbox file is causing
> problems.  What is the correct way to deal with this?  Turning off
> selinux?

I'd expect "Permission denied" not "Input/output error" for a
SELinux-related failure, and you should have an avc denied message in
your /var/log/audit/audit.log file.  NFS doesn't support file security
labels presently, but SELinux still internally assigns a label to the
incore inode and policy should allow the access.  Easy way to check is
to run /usr/sbin/setenforce 0 and try again.  If that makes no
difference, then SELinux is unlikely to be the culprit.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency