New Age Music can kill FC4

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Tue Jul 5 21:48:03 UTC 2005

Hoffmann wrote:

[snipped stuff about copy protected cds]

> Hi Markus,
> Thanks for reply.
> Well, I see no 'copy protection systems' information
> on my CDs. Moreover, I can listen to those CDs on
> Windows (by using either Windows Media Player 9 or
> Real Player 10) with no problem. So, I really don't
> know what the problem is.
> Important to say that I am not criticizing Fedora at
> all. I really love Fedora and, in my opinion, it is
> THE BEST linux distribution available.
> Thanks, once again, for your time.
> Hoffmann

Do you have an audio cable connected between your CD drive and your
sound card? Open the box and take a look.

Most Linux sound apps expect to use the analog output from your CD
drive to play audio. Windows uses the digital output, so it works fine
without the audio cable.

If you have an audio cable, you need to fiddle with the mixer
controls. You don't mention the type of soundcard you are using, this
determines which mixer settings are available, so it's hard to be
specific about which sliders to set.

If you do not have an audio cable, XMMS can be configured to use the
digital output from your CD drive. Configure the XMMS "CD audio
player" plugin and select "digital audio extraction" under the "play
mode" section.

It works for me (TM). Good luck.

John