MySQL FC3

Arthur Pemberton dalive at flashmail.com
Wed Jul 6 04:33:54 UTC 2005

Dave Foran wrote:

>I have a major issue of sorts ;-)
>
>I have no idea what the password for root is
>I have tried a a number of recommended edits to try and either delete or
>replace the password but all have failed.
>
>The rpm on FC3 CD will not permit removal as yum has updated the file
>routine.  I d/l the currant rpm and it will not allow removal. It says,
>this in not installed..
>
>Any good thoughts short of re-installing everything and that is not a
>viable idea..
>
>I need I think a way to un-install mysql and do a clean install..
>
>Any thoughts ??
>Thanks
>Dave

Yah I've had that happen to me before. I think there's a better solution
to what I'm about to suggest, I'll google for it later.

# service mysql stop
# mv /var/lib/mysql /var/lib/mysql_working
# rpm -e MySQL-server      # you may need to erase some other packages
to get this to work

then

# yum insall MySQL   # if that's what you really want
or
browse to http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/4.1.html and download the
necessary RPMS and
# rpm -ivh MySQL*.rpm

After you get your mysql back up and running, copy back in your database
from /var/lib/mysql_working , ensuring not to copy the mysql database.
Then just resetup your perms for the dbases and tables.

You might want to check these links first though#
http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/171366
http://www.alt-php-faq.org/local/70/