FC4: Sync printer queues between system-config-printer and CUPS

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 05:17:36 UTC 2005

CUPS and system-config-printer seem to keep separate printer
configuration files/queues.  Is there a mechanism in place to
automatically sync the two?

Here is the problem I am encountering:

After I upgraded from FC3 to FC4 I noticed additional printer queues
created for the Epson 860 printer attached via a USB port.  Using
system-config-printer to delete the new
hal:///org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_xxxxx did not have a
lasting effect.  After  logging out and logging in or rebooting and
logging in another hal queue-type would be created.  I used
Mozilla-Firefox browser to access the ESP CUPS Administration page at
http://localhost:631.  Deleting printer queues with the ESP
Administration utility also had no lasting effect.  The deleted USB
queue would reappear.  Disabling cups-config-daemon seems to stop the
creation of new printer queues.  However, queues deleted using the ESP
utility do not get reflected in system-config-printer.   I have to run
system-config-printer and delete the just deleted printer queue to
keep things in sync.

This is becoming a real hassle -- cups, cups-config-daemon, and
system-config-printer should work seamlessly together.