Killing idle SSH sessions?

Brandon Laing blaing at vancoservices.com
Wed Jul 6 14:34:27 UTC 2005

Alex,

Adding ClientAliveInterval will only help if the client drops off
entirely and the server can't get any response. If the session stays
connected (say, in a Putty window) but the client doesn't do anything,
the session stays active. I've tried and verified this on multiple
systems. There doesn't seem to be a way built into the SSH daemon in
Fedora to kill an idle session. SSH on other distros seems to support a
different setting for the sshd_config file called IdleTimeout, which
does what it sounds like; it kills a session after being idle for a set
amount of time. This setting does not work on Fedora... ssh will not
start if this line is added.

So, I guess I am just hoping that someone has addressed this issue with
another program or script. Thanks for the help so far with this.

Alex Evonosky wrote:

Add this to your /etc/sshd/sshd_config:

ClientAliveInterval n

n=number of seconds (0 default for unlimited)