simple ping; pinging 101

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 6 16:21:16 UTC 2005

THUFIR HAWAT wrote:

>On 7/6/05, Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>The real question here is what are you trying to do?

>looking at
><http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Masquerading-Simple-HOWTO/intro.html>
>
>I've changed the IP addresses as follows:
>
>arrakis eth0	123.12.23.43
>arrakis eth1	192.168.0.1
>caladan eth0	192.168.0.2
>
>to be able connect arrakis eth0 to the hub, ping caladan, disconnect
>arrakis eth0 from the hub, connect arrakis eth1 to the hub, ping
>caladan, repeat..
>
>to do do that, is a default gateway required?
>
>I'm just taking this one very small step at a time.
>

>thanks,
>
>Thufir

It sounds like you want the OS to recognize whether you have a
cable plugged in and "auto-mount" like a USB drive or something.
You seem to have some serious misunderstandings about how
these things are intended to work. I know of only a few machines
which treat ethernet cables as "hot pluggable". I'd be very
surprised to find that any version of Linux would do that.

Reconfiguring a live network is not something many OSs do. This
normally takes administrator intervention.

Mike