webmail in FC3

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jul 6 19:02:30 UTC 2005

Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, William Hooper wrote:
>

>> Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> in our recent surveys of webmail frontends... there are no good pop3
> webmail frontends...
>
> maintaining two different stores for mail (the spool, and the pop3 mail
> storage) is a little wasteful, and less easy to scale than imap or
> something like sqwebmail which manipulates maildir's directly.

Cyrus does use maildirs.  If you revert to using c-client-based mail
servers (such as Crispin's stuff), then you use a single mailbox ("MBOX"
for imap, the normal maildrop for pop3) and there's no reason to have
two separate mail structures:

	$HOME/mail/mbox    <--- imap MBOX and pop3 maildrop
	$HOME/mail/Sent    <--- imap folder
	$HOME/mail/Trash   <--- imap folder

I run a mail system with over 60K users and that's how I have it set
up.  Works fine.  They can use pop, imap, or webmail (we use IMP, but
squirrelmail works fine too, since they're both just PHP-powered web
front ends to the IMAP protocol).
-   "I was remembering the immortal words of Socrates when he said,  -
-   'I drank what?'"                 -- Val Kilmer in "Real Genius"  -