Folder Synchronization

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Jul 7 00:49:27 UTC 2005

Am Do, den 07.07.2005 schrieb Justin Willmert um 1:34:

No HTML formatted mails please.

> I'm looking for (in order of importance)...
>         ...a synchronization scheme that integrates into the Linux
>         file system automatically like samba or NFS does: I can mount
>         the remote folder directly into my file system and the client
>         and server are always in sync with each other (no need to run
>         a synchronization program).
>
>         ...a scheme that will not just rely on the server for the
>         content: it will keep a local copy on the client, and once the
>         daemon can successfully connect to the server again, will go
>         ahead and update the server. In short, a local caching system.
>
>         ...a daemon that only requires a single, locked down port to
>         operate so I can lock down my firewall further.
>
>         ...(maybe a bit of a stretch but) a system that can do basic
>         network recognition. For example: My home network consists of
>         a 192.168.2.0/24 subnet, and additionally the wireless's name
>         is "ournet" (substituted actual name). If I connect to a
>         wireless connection that is not "ournet", it won't even try
>         connecting. If connect to a lan and the subnet is
>         172.40.0.0/16 instead of my home subnet (192.168.2.0/24), it
>         won't even try connecting.

> Justin Willmert

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

"Unison is a file-synchronization tool for Unix and Windows. It allows
two replicas of a collection of files and directories to be stored on
different hosts (or different disks on the same host), modified
separately, and then brought up to date by propagating the changes in
each replica to the other."

It is available as an RPM from Fedora Extras 3 + 4.

Alexander

Serendipity 02:46:56 up 11 days, 9:39, load average: 0.88, 0.81, 0.58