weird network problem in FC4

Amadeus W. M. amadeus84 at cablespeed.com
Thu Jul 7 05:15:11 UTC 2005

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 13:10:16 +1000, Steffen Kluge wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 13:52 -0400, Amadeus W. M. wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 18:05:14 +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>> > Why do you set private address space IP data? And you set a GATEWAY
>> > which probably will prevent the dhcpc to set the gateway his own. Remove
>> > these entries.
>>
>> I didn't do any of that. That script gets written when I save the settings
>> in system-config-network. And all I do there is tell it to get the IP
>> automatically through dhcp.
>
> I've had this before. At the time I suspected the system-config-network
> script to not properly clean out the static configuration when switching
> an interface to DHCP.
>
> Looks like you've got more evidence to support this assumption. Maybe
> someone should file a bug?
>
> Cheers
> Steffen.

AHA! At least I'm not crazy! I will file a bug if it happens again. I'm
sure it will.

And what was the fix?

Man, with FC4 I got hit by just about every bug there is, and then some!
First the install cd won't boot (with the hilarious fix of typing garbage
at the prompt, to get it to boot). That was a sign, I should have stopped
right there. Then the Xserver would not get back to the console, and so
on and so forth. I can't possibly imagine how these bugs went unnoticed in
test1, 2 and 3.