New Age Music can kill FC4

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 7 10:15:12 UTC 2005

Michael A. Peters wrote:

 > On Tue, 2005-07-05 at 16:36 -0700, Hoffmann wrote:

 >> Hi All:
 >>
 >> Since, finally, I got my CD drive working (reading my
 >> music CDs), I became very happy, and I did a mistake
 >> on the list. I replied to the list by including
 >> 'Problem SOLVED' on the subject. However, I am not
 >> sure if the original posting (Robert Cahn) already
 >> solved his problem. So, let's move our attention to
 >> him now. I mean, let's try to help him in his case.
 >> Sorry for that Robert.
 >> Best,
 >> Hoffmann

 > His problem is he bought a CD that does not conform to the Audio CD
 > Standard.
 > Basically - his CD is broken. It may be broken by design, but it is
 > still broken. He should get a refund and in the future, only buy CD's
 > that are not broken.

The OP might try turning off CD-related options in
Applications|Preferences|Removable Media to avoid the
kernel panic (someone else has suggested disabling hald,
but that seems a little broad-spectrum).  If the
system is running with a borked CD inserted it's often
possible to rip such CDs, even though they can't be
played as normal audio CDs (I find that more than a little
ironic).  Bit of a pity they treat customers like criminals
really.

--
imalone