Green screen as if monitor is not accepted

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jul 7 11:23:57 UTC 2005

Inge Vermonden wrote:

> where do you change the libvgahw.a file then? on the installation disks?
> I can not access my files on the Fedora drive, not through Windows, so
> what is the best way to go? And if I have to change it, on what disk
> is that?
> (I searched for it, but couldn't find the file at all... not even on
> my working Fedora pc...
> thanks
> Inge

If you copy the file to a vfat partition and then change file
permissions to 444 with root as owner and group, it should work as well.

I copied the file from the website, saved it to disk, then accessed the
floppy in Linux. I then moved the file to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/

rename /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a.old
cp /media/floppy/libvgahw.a  /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
chmod 444 /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
chown root:root /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a

ought to do the trick. After that, the X server ought to come up
normally, if the problem is the same as others are getting w/ libvgahw.a
is the same cause.

Jim

--
Every time you manage to close the door on Reality, it comes in through the
window.