selinux problem with httpd and mysql

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jul 7 13:31:46 UTC 2005

Ankush Grover wrote:
>>Your mysql socket appears to have the wrong context.
>>
>>On my system, I get:
>>
>># ls -lZ /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
>>srwxrwxrwx  mysql    mysql    system_u:object_r:mysqld_var_run_t
>>/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
>>
>>You seem to have a context of user_u:object_r:var_lib_t for this.
>>
>>Or is your mysql.sock not in the /var/lib/mysql directory? If so, why?
>

> Hey Paul,
>
>  I checked the contexts of mysql.sock and it is there in the
> /var/lib/mysql directory
>
> srwxrwxrwx  mysql    mysql    user_u:object_r:var_lib_t        mysql.sock
>
> I am running mysql 4.1 ,I have downloaded the rpms from the mysql.com
> site.Before installing I switch off the SELinux and then switch
> SELinux back to on state after installation.

Did you do the relabel after booting with selinux=0, as suggested by
Daniel Walsh?

# touch /.autorelabel
# reboot

Without this, you may have unlabelled files around your system.

You should be able to fix this particular issue with:

# restorecon -R /var/lib/mysql

but the autorelabel should fix all contexts.

Why did you get mysql from the mysql.com site? FC4 comes with mysql
4.1.11, so I'm guessing you're on FC3 (confirmed by looking back to the
start of your previous "selinux problem" thread). If you're not using
the current latest release of Fedora, it's well worth mentioning this
when you raise issues, as people may make incorrect assumptions about
what you're running, and hence give inappropriate answers.

Paul.