Totem: Can't even play VCD?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Jul 7 14:37:11 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 14:02 +0100, William John Murray wrote:

> These gstreamer plugins are also in freshrpms. But it doesn't work too
> well for me with this set:
> gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio-0.8.8-2.2.fc4
> gstreamer-0.8.10-1
> gstreamer-plugins-extra-dvd-0.8.8-2.2.fc4
> gstreamer-plugins-0.8.8-6
> gstreamer-plugins-extra-video-0.8.8-2.2.fc4
> gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.8.4.1-0.2.fc4

I haven't tried the freshrpm builds.
One thing I have noticed is that video libraries don't always do so well
when repository mixed - IE a library with different compile options can
cause problems.

For example - if you have libfoo from one repository A and you have bar
from repository B but the bar in repository B is built against libfoo
from repository B, bar may not work right with the libfoo from
repository A.

If you are using the freshrpm gstreamer-plugins-extra stuff, you want to
make sure that you are using freshrpms to satisfy any dependencies not
satisfied by core.

My rpm's are built against rpm.livna.org libraries, and might not work
if you have your library dependencies satisfied by someone else (I don't
know).