Install Configurations (FC4) for future releases...

Arthur Pemberton dalive at flashmail.com
Thu Jul 7 20:30:50 UTC 2005

Panama Jack wrote:

> Does anyone know if they are going to Expand the installer to allow
> setting of the configuration for some packages before the install
> starts  instead of using generic settings.

That would be a nice addition, esp. if these configs coudl be read from
some form of removable or network media.

> An example would be the installation of PHP 5.0.4.  There are a number
> of  switches in the ./configure that usually need to be adjusted fro
> the  current default install.

As Fedora is now, it is my understanding that such a feature is
impossible. What you would like to do would have to be done at compile
time. Fedora however is installed from binaries.

> If would be nice to be able to turn on mysql  support, gd support or
> turn off certain switches.  As it stands now it is  a MAJOR pain in
> the butt to change these things after the initial  install.  Unless I
> am missing something it is not that simple to change  these
> configurations.  You have to go through some MAJOR hoops just to
> change those switches because PHP and Apache2 are not installed in
> any  manner similar to what is shown on the websites for those packages.

I may be wrong, but that is what packages such as php-mysql. They ad
these modulular functionality to the PHP install.