Multi-monitor support (more than 2-heads) in FC4

Ernest L. Williams Jr. ernesto at ornl.gov
Fri Jul 8 03:05:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 22:26 -0400, Peter Arremann wrote:
> On Thursday 07 July 2005 22:15, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to get Xinerama behavior via hardware from the graphics
> > card:
> >
> > Looks like the matrox "merged-mode" only supports two monitors?
> >
> > Looks like Nvidia "twin-view" mode only supports two monitors?
> >

> > Can anyone recommend a way to get 6-heads going without Xinerama?
> Why would there be a problem with that? I'm running dual 20" flat panels of a
> agp nvidia card and a 19" panel on an ati pci card - works great.
You are running without Xinerama?

> > I am looking to overcome Xinerama performance issues, especially when
> > running java-based GUI apps.
> What performance issues are you talking about? I'm running netbeans and
> eclipse for different projects all day long - no speed issues :-)
Maybe, that is one difference we use pure java GUI environment.  I see a
big difference between using a three-head system versus a six-head
system.  So, I wanted to gain some performance by trying to get the
Xinerama effect via hardware.
Maybe, what I really need to do is to throw more CPU and memory at the
Linux box instead.