Mplayer Frustrations

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 03:19:23 UTC 2005

On 7/7/05, C.Beamer <cbeamer at interlynx.net> wrote:
> Thanks for trying.  First, I'm just a user.  I wouldn't no where to look
> for mplayer output.  Second, when I removed the mplayer installation
> that I did using yum, I installed everything from source that I
> downloaded from the Mplayer site, including the codecs.  I had the same
> problem, no matter which way I installed.  Third, I did try puting the
> codes in /usr/local/lib/win32/  but that didn't work either.

> So, essentially, I'm still butting my head against a brick wall.
> However, thanks for the suggestion - you never know, it might have been
> the one that worked!  It just wasn't this time.  :-)

OK -- installing from source was probably unnecessary and will
probably end up causing you more grief.  I'd suggest backing out the
install from source.  I don't know if mplayer's makefile has an
'uninstall' clause, if it does, that's the easiest thing to do.  If it
doesn't, hopefully it installed itself in /usr/local and you can just
clean it out of there.  Or just leave it, it probably won't affect
anything.

OK, so now you have a clean system without mplayer.  Add the livna
repo -- that's probably the easiest place to get mplayer from.
Install mplayer, mplayer-fonts, mplayer-gui, and mplayerplug-in.  You
can skip the gui or the plugin packages if you don't need them.

Once they're installed, do the following:
$ cd ~
$ mkdir .mplayer
$ cat >> .mplayer/config
vo=xv
ao=alsa
^D

I.e., create the file ~/.mplayer/config with the two lines as above.
The "^D" is CTRL-D and will quit cat and close the file.

Next is the codecs.  Download the codecs archive file from the MPlayer
website and extract it into /usr/local/lib/codecs.  Make symlinks to
this directory at /usr/lib, /usr/lib/win32, and /usr/local/lib/win32:

$ ln -s /usr/local/lib/codecs /usr/lib
$ ln -s /usr/local/lib/codecs /usr/lib/win32
$ ln -s /usr/local/lib/codecs /usr/local/lib/win32

(the last two probably aren't necessary, but what the heck?)

Now, after all that, if mplayer isn't working, I'm sorry.  :-)

Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves