ethtool reporting problem

Ismail Hameed busylittlebee at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 04:40:48 UTC 2005

Hi guyz,

I have a problem that is not allowing me to sleep soundly at nights.

Keepalived (www.keepalived.org) is software that helps in
LinuxVitualServers for failovers in a High-Availability environment.
Installing this package is easy under FC3, just execute the RPM and
presdo, its done.

But my research involves installing it on FC1 or below, and thats
where the nightmare starts. Until now I have pretty much narrowed it
down to the fact that it is because ethtool (that keepalived depends
upon) reports wrongly. It reports the link is down, when it is not.

The following output is from FC1:

[root at fc1 root]# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  Not reported
        Advertised auto-negotiation: No
        Speed: 10Mb/s
        Duplex: Half
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: off
        Current message level: 0x00000001 (1)
        Link detected: no
[root at fc1 root]#

I need a way to fix this problem. Can anyone recommend a simple work
around, other than upgrading to another FC  :) ?

Thanx