can't su

Shawn javajunkie at koyuru.com
Fri Jul 8 05:23:09 UTC 2005

Hello,

I can't su to root anymore.

I used up2date this morning to get my system updated and then su stopped
working.

I can use various applications like "root password" that requires a root
password be entered before it run and I can log in as root but su simply
does not work.  I changed the root password successfully but still can't
su.

I get a "su: incorrect password" error though am 1000% sure it's right.

Probably I should be reporting more but am not sure what logs to check.

I did check /var/logs/messages after logging in as root and saw
verification errors when I su'd to a regular user and then tried to su
up to root.  I don't have the exact message now though.

Any ideas of what I can do?

As for my yum conf I have (could there be some kind of conflicts in
them?)

[dag]
name=Dag RPM Repository for Fedora Core
baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag gpgcheck=1
enabled=1

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc
$releasever
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1

[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-
$releasever
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1

name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Test Updates
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/$releasever/$basearch/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-testing-fc
$releasever
enabled=0