owner of /etc /boot and / (related to can't su thread???)

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jul 8 13:28:03 UTC 2005

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
>> Am Fr, den 08.07.2005 schrieb Shawn um 8:13:
>>
>>> quite recently I mistakenly did something like chown -R jr /
>
> [snip]
>
>>> I wonder if etc and boot shouldn't properly be owned by root?
>>
>> Sure, they have to be root owned.
>>
> They *have* to be root ownership? What is there which will not function
> if they are not root ownership?

Anything that was originally owned by root will "work" as before, but
represents a potential security issue as user "jr" will now have access
to them and that user should not have that access.

Anything that was originally owned by a different user than root is
likely not to work, because the process that needs to access that data
will be running as the correct userid, not "jr".

Paul.