owner of /etc /boot and / (related to can't su thread???)

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 8 14:16:41 UTC 2005

Michael A. Peters wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 08:17 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>>They *have* to be root ownership? What is there which will not function
>>if they are not root ownership?
>>

>Stuff with the suid bit comes to mind - that bit says to run it as if
>the owner of the file was running it. Since that owner is no longer
>root, it will not run as root - and therefore fail.

Hmm. I'm sure you know more about that than I do. I've never written
a program using that technique. If what you say is true, then that might
be a real problem. OTOH, if jr "owns" everything anyway, it might
work :-)

>When you mess up that big - unless you have a way to restore all
>permissions, it really is best to reinstall.

I wonder if this isn't really the best option.

That's why I use su only sparingly, and "# exit" ASAP.

Beats me why XP comes with the default setup to make
the default user Owner with Admin privileges. Why not
make the first boot set up another user with lesser
privileges. I wonder how many Owners run with their
machines vulnerable like that?

Mike