owner of /etc /boot and / (related to can't su thread???)

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Jul 8 15:08:25 UTC 2005

Shawn wrote:

>>>Please see his topic and the link he made with it to the other thread,
>>>where he wrote: "I can't su to root anymore."
>>
>>And note that /bin/su (and similarly, /usr/bin/passwd) are setuid
>>programs that need to be owned by root. If they have changed ownership,
>>they won't work any more.
>>
>>Fix for these two specific programs:
>># chown root:root /bin/su /usr/bin/passwd
>># chmod 4755 /bin/su
>># chmod 4511 /usr/bin/passwd
>

> ok
>
> in general is jr:root a pretty odd combination for ownership (jr is a
> regular user)
>
> can I assume that things with that combination be changed back

Seems reasonable.

If you're in doubt about what the ownership and permissions of a
particular file should be, you could try asking rpm.

e.g. to check /boot, you could use:

$ rpm -qlfv /boot | awk '$9 == "/boot"'
drwxr-xr-x    2 root    root                0 Aug 12  2004 /boot

(replace both occurrences of /boot in the command line above with the
full pathname of any file you wish to check)

Paul.